Saturday, July 30, 2011

Elakala Swirls

Elakala Swirls
Click here for a larger version!

Here is another shot from my recent trip to Blackwater Falls State Park in West Virginia.  I have to admit, of all the waterfalls I have seen, Elakala Falls is by far my favorite.  And this recent adventure reminded me why.  After sliding down the muddy gorge and cutting my arm on a rock I reached the bottom of the falls.  When I got my camera out and identified the feature I wanted in the foreground suddenly the clouds broke and sun filled the gorge.  As you probably know, sun, waterfalls, and photography are a bad mix.

However, when the sun shown down into the gorge it lit up the falls and surrounding moss.  Elakala Falls took on a look that I had never seen before.  All the moss shown bright green like light through an emerald and the falls themselves started to shine and sparkle.  It was a sight that will stay with me for quite some time.  Luckily for the me the sun was coming and going so I had time to shoot a few exposures and was able to capture the swirls as well as the falls.  Sometimes while shooting, I overlook the beauty of what I am shooting while looking for leading lines and power shapes.  I need to slow down and take in the nature of the subject I am looking at and enjoy it for what it is.  I think this shot is great, but the memories of the sunlit Elakala is with me even when my computer is off.  Or I'm not looking at my living room wall... :)

You can help me out by clicking "Like" on my Facebook page, I am trying to reach 100 followers by the end of August.  Click here to see Benjamin DeHaven Photography on Facebook.  And don't forget to pass it on to a friend!  Thank you very much!  

No comments:

Post a Comment