Saturday, January 29, 2011

Elakala Falls

Elakala Falls
See this image in my gallery!
Deep in the heart of Blackwater Falls State Park outside of Davis West Virginia there is a small stream named Shay's Run.  Shay's Run has not one but four waterfalls within the span of about 100 yards or so.  This is waterfall number one.  Each sequential falls gets harder and harder to get to.  I would say this area is off the beaten path, but in truth there is a beaten path that leads by it.  Two things keep me from saying this...
  1. It is overshadowed by Blackwater Falls State Park's main waterfall: Blackwater Falls.  Unless you do your research on the internet first I doubt you will find any signs or notices of the series of falls.  There is a small sign at the trail head, but that is along the brush line behind the lodge.
  2. As you travel down the beaten path, you have to then basically jump down a big hill to get down to a good shot of the falls.  For some reason unknown to me this trail that someone took the time to gravel parts of and build a wooden bridge over Shay's Run did not bother to guide the trail down the slope for a good view of the falls.
I tend to be a person who works on impulse.  I would rather fly by the seat of my pants then sit down and plan out a trip.  This does not always serve well, with this being a great example.  And apparently I am not in the minority, in all the times I have been there I have never seen anyone simply looking at the falls.  Everyone on that trail is either loaded down with photographic equipment or following someone who is.  So remember, if you want to see all there is to see in a park you are visiting, do your homework first.  Don't count on signs, especially if you want a different point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment